Virginia & Truckee Railroad Right of Way

Nevada Historical Marker 248


 

Location:
Truckee River Basin, Washoe County 
Located at Center Street and Holcomb Avenue, Reno


 

 

Virginia & Truckee Railroad Right of Way

 

 

Soon after the Chinese laborers graded this section during the summer of 1871, track gangs commenced laying rail south, reaching Steamboat Springs by late October.  To celebrate the occasion numerous residents rode an excursion train to Steamboat on November 7.  Nine months later Superintendent Henry M. Yerington drove the last spike a mile west of Carson City on August 24, 1872, connecting Virginia City with Reno by rail.  Although regularly scheduled passenger service didn’t begin until October 1, the first through train traversed the 52 mile route on September 1, 1872 - the last steamed by here on May 31, 1950.

 

 

STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 248

DIVISION OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION & ARCHEOLOGY

CITY OF RENO