Nevada Historical Marker 64
Central Region, Nye County
Located on State Route 376, thirty-five miles south of the junction with U.S. Highway 50
Well up into the canyon above, one can still see the massive stone foundations of a costly and splendid stamp mill as well as the stone walls of an elegant office and mansion. This is the site of Ophir, which is now a ghost town.
S. Boulerond and his compatriots discovered ore at Ophir in 1863. In 1864, the Murphy Mine was founded and became the leading local producer. In 1865, a twenty-stamp mill was completed costing over $200,000. This included the first experimental stetefeldt furnace ever built. When the Murphy Mill was built, the town of Ophir was established, growing to a population of 400, but work in the mines declined in the 1870s and Ophir was almost deserted. In the 1880s, the mines were reactivated, and Ophir had another period of prosperity. By the 1890s, the town was deserted, but some mining activity at the Murphy Mine continued sporadically into the twentieth century.
Over two million dollars worth of gold and silver were mined from the Murphy vein and from surrounding properties. Iron, copper and arsenic were also found in the area.
Ophir managed to have all the accouterments of a large community, including a school, a church, various lodges, and, of course, several saloons.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 64
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
CENTRAL NEVADA REDEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION